There are several different types of peg boards. We’ll discuss and compare the two most used types of pegboard wall organizers: Standard Masonite type pegboards (both 1/8 and 1/4 inch) and WallPeg Ready mount pegboards.
The Masonite Peg Board…
- Available in both 1/8-inch (which also only accepts 1/8-inch hooks), and the heavier 1/4-inch style (which accepts both 1/8 and 1/4-inch hooks).
- The 1/8-inch size pegboard is too light for heavier tools, and the hooks themselves aren’t strong enough for heavier tools.
- If put too much weight on either of them, the board or hooks can bend and even tear out the board.
- The 1/4-inch style of board and hooks is better, but still has its limitations.
- Either size requires a framework to space them out from the wall, otherwise you can’t put the hooks in.
- The masonite pegboard can absorb moisture and oils, and when it does, it expands and is basically ruined.
- A major problem is that the peg hooks are generally poorly fitting. Every time you remove a tool from the board, the peg board hook tends to come off with it.
- There are plastic peg straps available to keep the hooks on the board, but you lose the use of the holes on either side, keeping you from using them for other items
you may wish to hand in that space. Also, they are hard to remove if order to rearrange the peghooks.
The WallPeg Easy Mount Pegboard…
- Is made of a tough co-polymer material and is durable enough to retain its shape, even with heavy tools attached to it.
- Is ready to mount right out of the box and has molded ribs on 8-inch centers to properly space the board from the wall.
- Never needs painting, it repels oils and liquids, and can easily be cleaned.
- Is excellent for use around swimming pools, garden sheds, or even kitchens.
- Repels water, making it the perfect choice for your mudroom where you hang snow covered coats or wet bathing suits.
- Is usually much less expensive than you would pay for a masonite pegboard, furring strips, paint, etc., making them affordable for anyone.
- Installs in only a few minutes and will last a lifetime…can be easily be removed from one wall, and moved from place to place.
- Is made in popular sizes to be used on walls, over work benches, and yet can be modified easily for special installations.
- Can be used in closets, hobby rooms, kitchens, or craft areas, and strong enough to hold your heavy tools.
Wallpeg… a better idea and a better product!!