February is almost here, which means we have about a month left until the dawn of spring. Spring brings about a lot of welcomed changes: longer days, warmer temperatures and new plant growth are all staples of the season. We also use it as a marker to start on some of those chores and projects that had to be put off until the cold winter weather passed. Here are a few of the things you can do around that house to get ready for spring:
- Take a screwdriver and test the wood trim around doors, windows, railings and decks. Should you encounter loose or failing wood, make sure to make repairs before spring rains causes even more damage.
- Check your gutters. Leaky or loose gutters can cause drainage problems and lead to flooding, so ensuring that they are up to snuff can save you from future headaches.
- The winter months can do a number on your roof. Take the time to inspect (from the ground) your roof for damaged or missing shingles to replace. Working on a roof brings health and safety risks for the inexperienced, so contacting a licensed, professional roofer to make the necessary repairs would be in your best interest.
- Should you live in an area that snows, its important to check the outdoor faucets for freeze damage. When water freezes inside a pipe, it expands and causes damage to the pipe. You test your faucets by plugging the opening with your thumb and turning on the water. Should you be able to stop the flow of water, the pipe is probably failing and should be replaced before a complete rupture takes place.
- In colder climates, spring means a return to lawn care. It would be in your best interest to roll out the lawn mower and other lawn equipment inspect them (clean the components, clean and oil the blades, etc.)
- Does your home have a chimney/fireplace? We are guessing that it got a ton of use during the cold season. Now would be a perfect time to have both the chimney and flue cleaned by a certified chimney sweep.
- How about a little bit of spring cleaning? Take a look around the house and see which rooms are in need of some de-cluttering. Maybe one of our Jumbo Pegboards might help get some of that stuff off the ground and out of your way!
Hopefully these tips will help you get the most out of this upcoming spring season!