A few years ago, we made the decision to significantly lower the environmental impact of our operations. In addition to converting from fossil fuel based electricity to wind generated power, we also began making all of our pegboard products out of landfill diverted, reprocessed plastic as well. It has allowed us to bring our customers the same durable, high quality products with a significantly smaller carbon footprint.
Here are a few simple ways you can lower your carbon footprint on a daily basis:
• Taking into account your current carbon footprint can give you a good idea of where you can cut back. You can use online tools like a Carbon Footprint Calculator to measure your current output.
• Reduce and even eliminate your carbon footprint by avoiding driving whenever possible. That includes walking, riding your bike, and taking public transportation.
• Aggressive acceleration and breaking while driving can lower your gas mileage by 33%. By driving the speed limit and easing into acceleration/breaking, you can significantly reduce emissions and save money at the pump.
• Keeping up with regular car maintenance (i.e. checking tire inflation, keeping the engine tuned, etc.) can also increase fuel efficiently and lower your footprint.
• Checking insulation and weather-stripping once a month is a great way to insure you are not wasting utilities like heat and A/C.
• Turn off lights and unplug electronics when not in use. Even items like cell phone chargers left in outlets will draw energy (even if they are not connected to the phone), so remembering to remove them whenever possible is key.
• Diverting as much waste away from landfills is crucial. That means recycling, composting, upcycling, reusing, etc.
Implementing these tips into your daily life can have an extremely positive impact on our overall carbon footprint. If we all take the necessary steps to improve our environment, we can leave a world that future generations can enjoy as well.